College consultants are frequently asked by parents how to improve their child’s chances of getting accepted into dream colleges. Most times, these answers depend on the student and the college in question, but there are 5 things that every student can do to improve college acceptance and admissions chances.
- Focus on Grades
Students can re-focus on their grades and GPA to ensure the highest possible grade points are achieved each semester. Many students don’t realize that their junior year transcript is what college admission officers will see. Make those junior year grades look terrific!
Students and parents tend to look at the testing calendar and think that there’s plenty of time to take the SAT or ACT later. And then they miss the registration deadline. Or they sign up in time, but didn’t plan ahead for time to study or take a test prep workshop. The scores take about 3 weeks and most students retake it at least one more time. Ensure that there is enough time in your plan for preparing, testing, tutoring and the retake.
3. Extracurricular activities
Join another club. Sign up for an officer position in a current club. Research other organizations on your school campus. If you don’t find one that interests you, start your own. Once you’ve joined a student club or two, try to take on leadership roles.
4. Beef up community service
Focus on volunteer work in your free time. Yes, this means weekends and summers. Not only does community service look great on college applications, it will also make you eligible for not only college acceptance but more scholarships later. Not to mention that it makes the world or your community a better place! Click here for an article about record keeping and student resumes.
5. Plan for summer camps
Texas colleges and universities offer many choices for summer camps, conferences and classes. Here are some examples:
- Awesome Math at UT- Dallas
- Clark Scholars at Texas Tech
- College Experience and G/T Institute at SMU
- Summer Science Research Program at Baylor
- Sea Camp at Texas A&M- Galveston
- Summer Academy in Architecture at UT at Austin
- Engineering camps at UT, UT- Tyler, A&M, UTMB
- STEM Quest and Biomed Health Careers Academy at UTMB- Galveston
- National Youth Leadership Forum– Houston and nationally
- Business and Accounting Academy at UT
- Rice for High School Students at Rice University in Houston
- GRADE Camp for girls at University of Houston
All Brand College Consulting clients receive a spreadsheet of available summer camps, deadlines, fees and links to applications during the Spring semester, in addition to assistance with any required essays or documentation. Lifelong career success begins with a college acceptance to the school of your choice.
For questions, please contact Jolyn Brand directly here.