Jolyn is a certified teacher who holds a Master’s degree in education and is currently pursuing her Doctorate in Higher Education. After years of experience teaching high school and college students, she began assisting with the college process. She’s the founder of Brand College Consulting and works with families across the Houston area and across the country virtually.
A note from Jolyn:
I started working with low-income high school students in Pasadena ISD in 2003. Many of my students didn’t expect to go to college, so I started with encouragement, advice and guidance. I began to guide classes through college essays and applications, and then through the financial aid process. A majority of my students turned into first-generation college students! I continued with this process throughout my teaching career: helping any students from the area schools, my neighbor’s children, anyone who needed assistance. In 2010, I got the opportunity to pursue this passion full time, and started my own business, and have loved every minute of it!
I was also a college instructor at an area community college and for an online national university. Through this work, I was able to assist college students through their first year of college, and I saw their struggles adjusting, especially without someone to mentor or guide them. Many college students change their major, change schools, or simply drop off because they didn’t get the guidance to help them succeed.
I have four children and reside in Friendswood, Texas, just outside of Houston. Our oldest son just graduated from Texas A&M and our youngest son is currently attending Purdue University, so I have also been through the college process personally and know how it can create tension and additional stress in families. Sometimes, a third-party can help relieve that stress by offering much needed guidance and perspective.
I travel extensively to visit colleges across the country, attend college counseling conferences, visit with admissions reps, and get a good ‘feel’ for campus environments. We also travel to Phoenix and Denver several times a year, so I am able to work with families in all of these areas, as well as across the country virtually.
Education and Certificates
Doctorate of Education- Northeastern University, 2016-2019
- Accepted for Fall 2016 start
- Higher Education specialization
Master’s in Education, University of Houston- Clear Lake, 2007
Bachelor’s in Business- University of Houston, 2002
TEA approved as a CPE Provider (Continuing Professional Education) for secondary teachers and high school counselors *CPE #902223
Certified in Texas:
- English, Language Arts and Reading
- ESL- English as a Second Language
- Special Education
- Principal Certification
- Professional member of TACAC– Texas Association of College Admissions Counseling
- Professional counselor member of HECA– Higher Education Consultants Association
- Professional member of RMACAC– Rocky Mountain Association of College Admissions Counseling for my clients in Phoenix and Denver- and SACAC– Southern Association of College Admissions Counseling
- Expert source on Women’s Media Center She Source for higher education and college admissions
- Attendee at several national conferences for college consultants, college admissions professionals and deans, and other educators, including 2014 TACAC Conference and IECA (Independent Educational Consultants Association)
- Board of Directors for the Houston YWCA– Pro Bono services for teens and young ladies in their care, assistance with teen education programs and camps, 2015- present
- Vice President of Board, 2016- present
- Chair of Outstanding Women’s Luncheon, 2016
- Chair of Programs Committee, 2016
- Member of National Charity League- Space City Chapter along with her daughter, 2015- 2016
- Web Content Mananger, 2016
- Newsletter Committee, 2015-16
- Volunteer Board of Directors for NARAL Pro-Choice Texas, 2015-present
- Founding Member of Executive Moms Society
- Board Member of the Friendswood High School PTO, 2012-15
Read more about Press and Awards here.