Fall 2018 Workshops for Parents and Students
Friendswood High School
- Thurs, Sept 20- SAT or ACT– Class will discuss the differences between the two tests, the 2016 changes, essay requirements, average test scores for several colleges and how to prepare. Testing timeline for juniors along with recommendations for test prep strategies and skills will be distributed. Class is ideal for juniors and their parents, but also open to sophomores.
- Thurs, Sept 27- College Financial Aid– FAFSA opens October 1 for seniors and their parents. Are you prepared? Course will discuss timeline for seniors, but also what younger students and their parent can be doing to get better prepared for college expense, including an overview of university costs, financial aid averages, student loan information, and federal work-study programs
Both classes meet 7 to 9 pm at Friendswood High School. Registration is required through the Friendswood Community Education department for $25/person.
Monday, October 22- Full practice ACT test for students
Brand College Consulting will be offering a full ACT practice test to help students feel more at ease taking the actual exam. After this practice exam, the students will know what to expect and have a clearer picture of how they will perform on the actual ACT. The ACT practice test will be followed by scoring of the students’ tests and an overview of what their scores mean at various colleges. Students will leave the workshop with their practice test booklet and know which sections or content they need to focus on in test prep or tutoring before taking the actual ACT. The discussion afterward will include a comparison of their ACT score to SAT score ranges, so that students can determine which test suits them better. Annex: Board Room, 402 Laurel. $50. 1-5pm
If that doesn’t work:
Past College Workshops for Parents and High School Students
- January 2017- Presentation to parents at Clear Springs High School in League City
- November 2016- Presentation to National Charity League- Space City Chapter
- April 2016- Clear Lake Freeman library and Evelyn Meador Branch Library in Seabrook
- March 2016- Friendswood ISD Community Education workshop at Friendswood High School
- November 2015- Houston We Are Girls Conference Speaker
- September to November 2015- Friendswood High School programs for parents of 7th-12th graders
- September 2015- Clear Lake Freeman library in Houston
- April and May 2015- at Friendswood High School
- April 2015– Bay Area Racquet Club, in Clear Lake area
- February 2015- Pearland library Parent Presentation
- January 2015- Clear Springs High School PTO meeting
- October 2014- Clear Lake Freeman Library, Houston
- May 2014– Career Day Presentation at Fairview Jr High in Alvin ISD
- May 2014- College Financial Aid Interview on Houston Public Radio, KUHF 88.7 (read more here)
- April 2014- Radio Interview on Houston’s Money Matters
- March 2014- United Living Water, Pearland church’s College Prep Weekend
- January 2014- Clear Lake Freeman Library, Parent College Series
- January 2014- Clear Lake High School PTO meeting
More dates and events added as they are scheduled. Do you have an organization, business or group that would like to secure a college consultant speaker? Please contact Jolyn directly using the Contact Form.
Please come join us and ask questions! The information is tailored for parents of high school students, but parents of younger children are always welcome.
Want up-to-date information? Join us on Facebook.