Spring 2018 Workshops for Parents and Students
Friendswood High School
- February 13-Picking the Right Courses and Electives for Next School Year – Learn the importance of course selection as it pertains to admissions chances, and SAT/ACT scores. The discussion will include an overview of graduation requirements and endorsements, typical 4-year plans, and differences between AP and Dual Credit. The class would be most useful for students in 8th-11th grades and their parents.
- February 27- SAT or ACT? The class will discuss the differences between the two tests, the 2016 changes, essay requirements, average test scores for several colleges and how to prepare. Testing timeline for juniors along with recommendations for test prep strategies and skills will be distributed. The class is ideal for juniors and their parents, but also open to sophomores.
- April 3- How to Build a Student Resume for College– Do you know what colleges look for in extracurricular and summer activities? The class will show students the college applications and how to prepare to compete for college admissions and scholarships, including examples of great activities, community service, and summer camps. Students will be given student resume templates. For students in 8th-11th grades.
- May 22- College Essays– Juniors can start college essays in May and write over the summer to be ready when college applications open in July and August. This class will review essay prompts for Apply Texas and Common Applications. Students will be shown great (and bad!) examples of essays and an overview of what colleges are looking for. This class is for students in the class of 2018.
All classes meet 7 to 9 pm at Friendswood High School. Registration is required and opens January 9. Classes are $25/person.
Past College Workshops for Parents and High School Students
- January 2017- Presentation to parents at Clear Springs High School in League City
- November 2016- Presentation to National Charity League- Space City Chapter
- April 2016- Clear Lake Freeman library and Evelyn Meador Branch Library in Seabrook
- March 2016- Friendswood ISD Community Education workshop at Friendswood High School
- November 2015- Houston We Are Girls Conference Speaker
- September to November 2015- Friendswood High School programs for parents of 7th-12th graders
- September 2015- Clear Lake Freeman library in Houston
- April and May 2015- at Friendswood High School
- April 2015– Bay Area Racquet Club, in Clear Lake area
- February 2015- Pearland library Parent Presentation
- January 2015- Clear Springs High School PTO meeting
- October 2014- Clear Lake Freeman Library, Houston
- May 2014– Career Day Presentation at Fairview Jr High in Alvin ISD
- May 2014- College Financial Aid Interview on Houston Public Radio, KUHF 88.7 (read more here)
- April 2014- Radio Interview on Houston’s Money Matters
- March 2014- United Living Water, Pearland church’s College Prep Weekend
- January 2014- Clear Lake Freeman Library, Parent College Series
- January 2014- Clear Lake High School PTO meeting
Past events have been held at schools, community organizations, and multiple church and yout
h groups. Do you have an organization, business, or group that would like to secure a college consultant speaker? Please contact Jolyn directly using the Contact Form.
More dates and events added as they are scheduled. Do you have an organization, business or group that would like to secure a college consultant speaker? Please contact Jolyn directly using the Contact Form.
Please come join us and ask questions! The information is tailored for parents of high school students, but parents of younger children are always welcome.
Want up-to-date information? Join us on Facebook.