Using CustomCollegePlan software, every college consulting package receives a personalized college application tracking software with its own dashboard that helps manage all deadlines, tasks and files. Jolyn Brand enters students into the system, along with their profile, SAT/ACT scores, career interests and customized college list.
This dashboard even gives students the option of receiving text message notifications for important tasks, deadlines and test registrations. They can use this feature to communicate with Jolyn directly or to ask questions. Very handy for students who don’t frequently check emails!
Once the parents and student are given access to the dashboard, they can view each college using the “How do I match up?” feature which shows the student’s test scores compared to the average student at the selected college. This is a great tool for selecting and reviewing colleges.
Once colleges are selected, Jolyn Brand enters each task for that college into the dashboard, including:
- Essays that will be written and when they are due
- When to request teacher recommendations and how many are required
- Application deadline and when to submit it to the college
- When to send SAT/ACT scores and transcripts
- Deadlines for financial aid documents and scholarships
Additionally, this task list and each student’s calendar can be customized for the family’s schedule. Students in band or football can complete tasks before August, when practice schedules get hectic. Students going on vacation can plan around those weeks over the summer and students will jobs can tend to tasks on their off-time.
Considering that this task list varies for each college, and most students apply to 5-10 colleges, the application tasks and schedule can be easily overwhelming without a program or plan in place. This program enables Jolyn, the student and the parents to track all tasks and deadlines to ensure that no deadline is missed!
Another helpful feature is the College Research Launch Pad which gives students and parents direct links to other useful websites with information on each colleges.
- College Prowler, Unigo, and Campus Discovery offer real reviews from current college students attending that school.
- College Board’s Big Future has many interesting categories to learn more about each college.
- US News and World Report has college rankings and list of academic programs.