YWCA of Houston
Young Women’s Leadership Council (YWLC)
What is YWLC?
This is a unique opportunity for ten (10) high school students (14-18 years old) from diverse backgrounds across the Houston area to participate in a service-learning and leadership development program. Ambassadors will contribute to and inform YWCA Houston on programs while acting as YWCA ambassadors and leaders for youth service throughout the Houston area.
YWLC Ambassadors will:
- Create a framework for youth engagement
- Incorporate the youth voice into YWCA programs
- Build a model of youth leadership
- Volunteer with the YWCA Programs
- Interact with board members (which includes Jolyn Brand)
What are the requirements?
- Be between 14-18 years of age by September 1
- Complete the attached application (pages 2-4)
- Currently enrolled in a public/ private or home school high school in the Houston area (in grades 9, 10, 11 or 12) for the upcoming school term
- Commit to attending scheduled meetings (face to face meetings quarterly in conjunction with webinar/teleconference meetings as needed)
- Be able to provide feedback and participate in program evaluations.
- Attend the scheduled training for YWLC ambassadors
How long is the program?
YWLC Ambassadors participate in the program for the term of January 1, 2017 through December 31, 2017. YWLC ambassadors may serve more than one term, as long as they re-apply and meet the qualifications each year.
How do I apply?
YWCA Houston is accepting applications for the 2017 Young Women’s Leadership Council (YWLC) through November 1, 2016. Application Deadline: November 1, 2016 @ 5:00pm.