Jolyn is a certified teacher who holds a Doctorate in Higher Education from Northeastern University. After years of experience teaching high school and college students, she began assisting with the college process. She’s the founder of Brand College Consulting and works with families across the country virtually.
A note from Jolyn:
I started working with low-income high school students in 2003. Many of my students didn’t expect to go to college, so I began to guide classes through college essays and applications, and then through the financial aid process. A majority of my students turned into first-generation college students! I continued with this process throughout my teaching career: helping any students from the area schools, anyone who needed assistance. In 2010, I got the opportunity to pursue this passion full time, and started my own business, and have loved every minute of it!
I was also a college instructor at an area community college and for an online national university. Through this work, I was able to assist college students through their first year of college, and I saw their struggles adjusting, especially without someone to mentor or guide them.
My husband and I have four children Our own kids went to public and private universities, in and out of state, including Texas A&M, Purdue University, and the University of Pittsburgh. I travel extensively to visit colleges across the country, attend college counseling conferences, visit with admissions reps, and get a good ‘feel’ for campus environments.
Education and Certificates
Doctor of Education- Northeastern University, Higher Education specialization, 3.9 GPA
Master’s in Educational Management-University of Houston- Clear Lake
Certified as Texas teacher:
- English, Language Arts, and Reading
- Special Education
- English as a Second Language
Bachelor’s in Business- University of Houston
- Volunteer Academic Coach for ScholarMatch
- Member Advisory Board for College Planner Pro
- Member of NASPA, Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education
- Expert source on Women’s Media Center She Source for higher education and college admissions
- Attendee at several national conferences for college consultants, college admissions professionals and deans, and other educators, including the 2018 IECA conference, the 2017 Super ACAC Conference, and TACAC Conferences
- Board Member of the Friendswood High School PTO, 2012-present
- Board of Directors for the Houston YWCA– Pro Bono services for teens and young ladies in their care, assistance with teen education programs and camps, 2015- 2018
- Vice President of Board, 2016- 2018
- Chair of Outstanding Women’s Luncheon, 2016- 2017
- Chair of Programs Committee, 2016
- Member of National Charity League- Space City Chapter along with her daughter, 2015- 2016
- A regular volunteer for Houston Food Bank, Bay Area Turning Point, and Communities in Schools
Read more about Press and Awards here.