Jolyn is a certified teacher who holds a Master’s degree in education and is currently pursuing her Doctorate in Higher Education. After years of experience teaching high school and college students, she began assisting with the college process. She’s the founder of Brand College Consulting and works with families across the Houston area and across the country virtually.
A note from Jolyn:
I started working with low-income high school students in Pasadena ISD in 2003. Many of my students didn’t expect to go to college, so I started with encouragement and guidance. I began to guide classes through college essays and applications, and then through the financial aid process. A majority of my students turned into first-generation college students! I continued with this process throughout my teaching career: helping any students from the area schools, anyone who needed assistance. In 2010, I got the opportunity to pursue this passion full time, and started my own business, and have loved every minute of it!
I was also a college instructor at an area community college and for an online national university. Through this work, I was able to assist college students through their first year of college, and I saw their struggles adjusting, especially without someone to mentor or guide them. Many college students change their major, change schools, or simply drop off because they didn’t get the guidance to help them succeed or because they chose a college that didn’t fit them and their needs.
I have four children and reside in Friendswood, Texas, just outside of Houston. Our oldest son just graduated from Texas A&M and is pursuing a Master’s degree at The Citadel. Our second son is pursuing Systems Adminstration in college, our youngest son is a Computer Science major at Purdue University, and our daughter is a high school student. I travel extensively to visit colleges across the country, attend college counseling conferences, visit with admissions reps, and get a good ‘feel’ for campus environments.
Education and Certificates
Doctorate of Education- Northeastern University, 2016-2020, Higher Education specialization, 3.85 GPA
Master’s in Education, University of Houston- Clear Lake, 2007
Bachelor’s in Business- University of Houston, 2002
TEA approved as a CPE Provider (Continuing Professional Education) for secondary teachers and high school counselors *CPE #902223
Certified in Texas:
- English, Language Arts, and Reading
- ESL- English as a Second Language
- Special Education
- Principal Certification
- Professional member of TACAC– Texas Association of College Admissions Counseling
- Professional counselor member of HECA– Higher Education Consultants Association
- Member of NASPA, Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education
- Professional member of RMACAC– Rocky Mountain Association of College Admissions Counseling for my clients in Phoenix and Denver
- Professional member of SACAC– Southern Association of College Admissions Counseling
- Expert source on Women’s Media Center She Source for higher education and college admissions
- Attendee at several national conferences for college consultants, college admissions professionals and deans, and other educators, including the 2018 IECA conference, the 2017 Super ACAC Conference, and TACAC Conferences
- Board Member of the Friendswood High School PTO, 2012-present
- Board of Directors for the Houston YWCA– Pro Bono services for teens and young ladies in their care, assistance with teen education programs and camps, 2015- 2018
- Vice President of Board, 2016- 2018
- Chair of Outstanding Women’s Luncheon, 2016- 2017
- Chair of Programs Committee, 2016
- Member of National Charity League- Space City Chapter along with her daughter, 2015- 2016
- Regular volunteer for Houston Food Bank, Bay Area Turning Point, and Communities in Schools
Read more about Press and Awards here.