Brand College Consulting offers private tutoring and test preparation for high school students. Tutors specialize in SAT and ACT test preparation but are also available for PSAT and SAT Subject Tests. Private tutoring is provided by Jolyn Brand, a certified teacher with a doctoral degree in education or one of a few expert tutors who work for Brand College Consulting. Tutoring can be provided in the client’s home or in a public space, such as the public library or a local coffee shop.For the best results, 2-3 months of tutoring is recommended. If a shorter time range is necessary, at least 2 hours a week is suggested. An individualized lesson plan and homework assignments are developed for EACH student. Contact Jolyn directly to inquire about subjects and schedules.
SAT and ACT Test Dates for the 2020-2021 School Year
Suggested Test Prep
As a former teacher, I can attest to students performing better on standardized tests, like the SAT or the ACT, when they are fully informed of the test format, structure, and feel confident going in. I suggest that students familiarize themselves with the test, including format, when to guess, how to write the essay, and when to “skip” questions, before the initial testing. This can be achieved through self-study, online practice, or with the help of a test prep class.
Here are my recommendations for each category:
1. For students who are self-motivated and disciplined, self-directed study can be beneficial. I recommend:
- Official SAT Online practice by linking student’s College Board account with Khan Academy (steps here)
- Study guide books- Students should read through the sections of concern and then complete 2-3 practice tests
- College Board: The SAT Study Guide book
- Princeton Review’s Cracking the SAT or Cracking the ACT
2. For an in-person test prep class, I recommend:
- Testmasters offers official College Board tests as their “practice tests” and runs about $750-$800 for a 5-6 week course. Testmasters charges $130/hour for in-home private tutoring.
- Method Test Prep has live, virtual courses that provide a good overview, but with only 18 hours of instruction, it should be combined with private tutoring and test practice.
- Princeton Review has ACT test prep courses over 10 sessions with 4 proctored practice tests, for $999- $1499 and SAT prep courses up to $1599.
3. Private tutoring is suggested for students who are either too busy for test prep courses or who prefer one-on-one assistance. Using the full SAT Score Report or ACT scores, we can create a personalized study plan and hone in on the student’s weaknesses or areas of concern.
Our tutors specialize in SAT and ACT test prep and do not provide tutoring for other subjects, so they are experts in the tests! They guide students through test-taking strategies, timing practice, and review of the concepts in all of the sections.
Please fill out the Private Tutoring Request Form to be contacted with available tutoring time slots.
The cost for private tutoring is $60/hour with a one-time $60 registration fee to assess previous test scores, develop an individualized lesson plan, and schedule students.* Rates have a 24-hour cancellation notice policy. We understand students have busy schedules, but time slots are reserved for students with an appointment. If 24 hours notice is not given for a cancellation or reschedule, the rate will still be charged.
Want to see what our tutoring clients say about our services? Read more here.