College essay workshops will be held during summer 2020 for students in the class of 2021. Each workshop is very limited in size, so students will get individualized attention for their college essays or applications.
Each workshop will be taught by Jolyn Brand, the college consultant with years of experience reading and editing college essays for admissions. Jolyn is a certified high school English and Reading teacher with a doctorate in higher education from Northeastern University.
Essays- Personalized guidance with colleges essays for the Apply Texas application and the Common App
- Students will review next year’s college essay prompts
- Students will read good vs bad essay examples of essays
- Students will brainstorm possible topics to highlight their strengths and begin outlines for each essay
- Suggestions will be given on topic selection, adding voice and personality, and making edits to fit in the correct word length
- Students will begin writing the essays and can have them professionally edited following the workshop
The Apply Texas application has 3 essay prompts for students applying to public universities in Texas. UT- Austin also has 3 short-answer questions.
The Common Application has 1 general essay that students select from a list of seven possible topics.
Some students use only the Apply Texas app or the Common App, but many students use both.
College Essay Workshop Dates
Classes will be scheduled on Zoom (similar to Skype) so that students can participate from wherever they might be. With this webinar, students can see the instructor through webcam, and then the screen is shared so that students can review the essay prompts, good and bad essay examples, and suggestions for writing. The webinar is live (not recorded) so students can ask questions on the spot.
Included with the webinar registration is a personal review of two of the student’s essays. During or after the webinar, the students can share (or email) their essays to Dr. Brand for a professional review and edit.
Each workshop is two hours long and includes the professional review and edit of two essays after the workshop for $200.
Dates for the Apply Texas essays:
- Wednesday, June 24 at 6 pm
- Saturday, July 11 at noon
Dates for the Common App essays:
- Thursday, June 25 at 6 pm
- Saturday, July 11 at 3 pm
Please click here for the Student Registration Form and link to Paypal. Reserve your spot today!
*Does your student need more help that one workshop day? One-on-one guidance and editing for college essays is available. Click here to schedule a private session with Jolyn.